Motorcoach Industry Useful Topics
Click on a topic in the left column to begin your search to view related articles.
Click Below to View Articles Applicable to Topic
Displayed Results

Trips for Compensation Require PUC Authority

  • 1/27/2016 1:31:00 PM
  • View Count 3008
  • Return

The state’s Public Utility Code requires that anyone who is serving as a “passenger broker” must hold a brokerage license issued by the PUC. A passenger broker is someone who is being paid to arrange trips within the state – such as bus trips.

The PUC monitors passenger brokers for things such as quality of service, safety and insurance. The PUC also ensures the broker is following all state laws and regulations.

The PUC’s Pittsburgh District Office has recently received many reports of unlicensed people serving as passenger brokers by arranging bus trips within the state for compensation, especially in the Pittsburgh area. Civil and criminal penalties may be sought by the PUC if someone is found to be operating as a passenger broker without proper authority.

Anyone interested in providing this type of transportation service may call the PUC Application Office at (717) 787-3834 or the Pittsburgh District Office at (412) 565-3553. Applications are also available on the PUC’s website at

The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission balances the needs of consumers and utilities to ensure safe and reliable utility service at reasonable rates; protect the public interest; educate consumers to make independent and informed utility choices; further economic development; and foster new technologies and competitive markets in an environmentally sound manner. For recent news releases, or more information about the PUC, visit our Internet homepage


Not any article


Post a Comment